Mark Twain Quote
"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879
July 29, 2009
"Please, Sir, may I have some more?"
I guess the most obvious place to start is with my blog title. Food don't grow on trees? What's with that, right? Well, a few mornings ago I was standing in front of three highchairs with bleary eyes and an aching back feeding my munchkins what I thought was a delicious and nutritious breakfast. Suddenly, as if they had predetermined a cue, they all started flinging french toast cubes and blueberries off their trays and onto the floor. Now, I am not one to shout at my babies very often...but this was too much. Don't these little hellions know how much food cost these days? Are they not up to date on the mess our economy is in? Do they not notice Mommy NOT getting dressed everyday to go out to a "real job?" And if they don't notice, surely they can hear grandma intoning everyday "Get a job! Get a job!" I think they just don't care. Seventeen month olds can be self-absorbed that way. Out of nowhere it came out of my mouth, obviously passing my brain without collecting $200, "Food don't grow on trees, you know!" Thank goodness they don't have a firm grasp on the English language yet so they don't notice mangled cliches or botched grammar or just plain faulty logic. Blueberries and french toast kept landing at my feet. I started laughing....Food Don't Grow on Trees, indeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wait til they're older--I sound more and more like my Mom every day with my 6 year old.
ReplyDeleteyay! Welcome to bloggy land! So excited to have you on board! Great title. And I feel ya on the saying of stupid things that used to come out of my mom's mouth. Only I think I'm crabbier. Naughty triplets.
ReplyDeleteLOL. So funny. Your blog will be great to follow!
ReplyDeleteActually I wrote the blog last night and usually blogspot lets you tell it when to post, so I said post at 7am this morning. It posted it last night. Immediately. Yet gave it a date of today. Um. Not quite right but I gave up trying to fix it. ah well. I wanted to put you on the list but with only one entry, well I shoulda just said you were up and coming and I knew you'd be great. That mighta passed muster...
ReplyDeleteDon't be impressed with me girl, this is a struggle!
The struggle IS why I am impressed with you, woman. You are a fab writer. We really need to do that book project. But at this point it might as well be how to survive the first two years...
ReplyDelete