Mark Twain Quote

"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879

November 30, 2009

Thanks, Ma'am, Whoever You Were

I was driving back home after visiting Georgetown Hospital with the triplets. Barely four months old and SKINNY and BLUE needed their hips and pelvics examined to make sure the cramped quarters of my uterus where they spent 34 weeks wasn’t going to cause them lifelong physical deformities. The sky turned gray-black as we left. The radio announcer warned of a brutal storm and told us to stay indoors. Too late. The already dense rush hour traffic crawled as traffic lights went dead. The triplets started to scream. They were hungry. So was I. I pulled into the Chevy Chase library, loaded SWOOSH and BLUE into the duo stroller and tucked SKINNY into a baby carrier slung around my waist. There were no lights in the library. No power to help the hum of the computers tamp down the sound of three infants wailing. I went into the children’s section and couldn’t decide what to do first. Change diapers? All three were wet. Feed them? Which one first? An old man sitting at the next table looked up from his book and stared. What was he doing in the children’s section anyway? I started to cry. You came up to me, a woman I’d never seen before and said simply “Let me have one.” I handed BLUE over. Pacing back and forth and cooing, you fed him and calmed me. Whoever you were, Thank you.

I was turning Toys-R-Us gift cards into diapers. You looked into the stroller and smiled. Then you noticed the squirming coming from my “shoulder bag” and looked concerned. “Triplets,” I said then gave you a peek at the third baby. “You’re the woman,” you said. “You’re every woman! Errrrr-vry last one of them!” Almost a year and a half later and I still crack up thinking about it. I needed to laugh badly that day. Whoever you were, Thank you.

It was Mother’s Day, the perfect day for the triplets’ first official outing and we went to church. After services you came up to me and told me you’d wanted a girl so badly but you kept having boys. Five of them. Then surprise twins – a boy and a girl. “That’s so wonderful,” I started but you shook your head and wiped tears away fast. “She died after three days,” you said and I had no words. You handed me a pink gift bag packed full of baby girl clothes your angel would never wear. You never told me your name. I never saw you again. Be blessed, whoever you were. And Thank you.

Four days before my babies’ first Christmas I found myself scared and desperate. Ten month old triplets with colds that threatened to never end and a relationship turned abusive. I packed the van with as much as it would hold, asked God to watch over me and my children and headed south. 900 miles. 3 days. Alone, but not really. You showed up in rest stops in Virginia and Georgia, gas stations in North and South Carolina, McDonald’s parking lots in Florida. “I’m alone with three babies, can you please watch the car so I can go to the bathroom?” A dozen and a half of you – travelling alone, travelling with husbands and friends, travelling with little ones of your own – moms and grandmoms. You all said yes. Whoever you were, Thank you.

It’s so much easier to get three toddlers into a place than to get them out. I see that now. But I am not so good at learning my lesson the first time around…or the fifth. So, whoever you were who chased down my runaway boy in the library stacks – Thank you. Whoever you were who left your treadmill workout to help me get the triplets out of the gym and into the van – Thank you. Whoever you were who instructed your five year old to climb up into that blasted McDonaldsPlayland contraption and fetch my child – Thank you.

To the sisterhood of moms and grandmoms and moms-to-be-hopefully-someday who offered a kind word, a joke, a knowing smile, patience, a helping hand to me these last 21 months – Thank you, thank you, whoever you were. Thank you.

11 comments:

  1. Nice thanksgiving post. I seem to have missed those people. Perhaps you look friendlier than I, perhaps you just look more frazzled. I, however, have never had to do the single mom thing so I'll just shut the hell up.

    Hope Georgia's treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I have been there as a single mother, receiving kindness from random strangers. You have a lot to be thankful for and your willingness to share it with the blogging world is a blessing to us as well. Thanks you so much for sharing this post and thank you for stopping by my blog as well. You're welcome to come over ANYTIME!

    Kristi, Hello...Is This On?
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! your an amazing Mamma!!So glad I found you!! Your children are beautiful and blessed! stop by

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally woulda given you one of those smiles had I known about you before now! I can't hardly keep control of my wild n' crazy 22 month old, and I don't have two more just like him. Props to you, missy, and how cute are your babies? Very. So very! Thanks for stopping by my place today and can't wait to see your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read this post over at the multiples blog and commented to you there. WOW!

    I'd like to thank YOU for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am coming from the Multiples blog too -- Amazing, amazing amazing! I, too, have known the kindness of other women/mothers (though your experiences and eloquence far surpass mine). Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, look at you miss famous, all over the multiples blog. How did you do that? No one likes me. Poo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THank you for this post. I confess. I've seen moms of twins & triples struggle, but never known if it was okay to offer help. In the future I will help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the thoughts of random strangers that sometimes make my day. Its nice to see the list put together like this.
    I (only) have twins. Its been hard to learn to say yes when someone wants to help, but I'm getting better at it. I found it makes the helper feel better and if it makes my life only a tiny bit easier, every bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was coming home from Russia alone with a newly adopted baby boy I was overwhelmed by the same experience....kindness in various forms/shapes/sized....from Russians and Hungarians and Americans. Russian men dangled expensive watches in Alex's face to entertain him while he was crying on the plane. Beautiful Russian women carried my suitcase thru the entire airport while I carried Alex. An Hungarian man slept on the floor of the plane so Alex could stretch out on 2 seats and sleep. A New York taxi driver emerged from the swirling snow and took me to a drug store to buy diapers to replace the one Alex wore for 9 hours and then drove me around numerous hotels until I found a room...and only asked for $25.00. The next day the Delta stewardess made sure I got the last seat on the plane so we could get home after 2 days of travel.

    Aren't humans great!? All the world over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so a previous post had me laughing, but now I'm bawling like a baby. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog (thanks, Mommyland!). You're a great writer and a great mom!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete