Mark Twain Quote

"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879

January 11, 2010

Then Again....

One of the most aggravating habits I had to break the triplets of when we arrived in Atlanta was the sippy cup of milk in bed habit. Grandma was so over the top insistent that not a spare moment go by without having calories shoved down their throats that she refused my requests to not give them bottles or cups in their cribs. Sure she'd nod her head every time I mentioned it but then she'd wait until I left the house and give it to them anyway. My gripe about this habit was simple - it would ruin their teeth and lead to my putting to bed a trio of grade schoolers with a Harry Potter book and a bottle of Yoohoo. BLUE, by 14 months old, already had tartar (or whatever that hard yellow stuff is called) caking two of the grand total of four teeth he'd managed to squeeze out. Not pretty. I was determined that I would squash this habit cold turkey - hello new house, good-bye old habits.

Then again...wasn't a 500 mile move stressful enough on 20 month old toddlers? They'd have new people to get used to, they'd have to share a room for the first time and thus readjust their nap and sleep schedules, and no more Mama and Papa. Did I really have to snatch away their "ca" of "mu," too? I figured that change of habit could wait a week or two until they were well settled. We arrived here in the first week of November. They had their last sippy of milk at bedtime on New Year's Eve when I finally put my foot down.

Then again....I did let them have it for nap yesterday because it was Sunday. Sundays are so hard on the wee ones what with going to church with Auntie and Uncle and thus having nap shoved back by almost two hours. If I don't do *something* they won't sleep at all.

I'm a real stickler though for their eating habits. The month I spent in Atlanta this summer working on my next novel, I returned to Florida to find that Grandma had abandoned all pretense of teaching table manners or upholding even a minimum standard of dining etiquette with the triplets. Tossed into the garage and shoved into a corner of the dining room were the high chairs that were once lined up at one end of the kitchen. Instead, Grandma had resorted to chasing them around the house shoving spoonfuls of food into them in between turns at Ring-Around-the-Rosy, climbing into the dishwasher, beating each other senseless with dolls, and watching re-runs of Nancy Grace (dear God I hate that woman). Unacceptable. When we got to Atlanta all that would cease. The rules were clear and simple: you sit down in your chair to eat, you DONT throw your cup on the floor, you DONT throw your food on the floor. Break any of these rules and I stop feeding you. A few hungry hours now and again and a couple of nights sent to bed on an empty stomach will hammer the point home I'm sure.

Then again...they are already on the small side through no fault of their own and what am I really trying to accomplish here anyway? Isn't growing healthy bodies one of my top jobs as a mom? And really, who can expect not-even-two year olds to sit still for an entire meal? Even I distract myself through most of my own meals by reading a book or channel surfing and I don't have to wait for two other people to sniff and test-taste each spoonful before I get my next bite. What's the big deal anyway if they want to sit on the table instead of the chair? I don't think if I wait until say, age 3, to really enforce table manners they will end up 20 year olds who can't eat without a stuffed animal in their hand and a finger up their nose. At least I hope not. No, no...they won't. I don't think.

So goes most of my parenting decisions. Back and forth, second guessing myself all day and night long. I want to be a strong, no nonsense, mean-it-the-first-time decision making kind of mom but I am not. I am open to reconsidering my decisions so that I do the best that I can by my kids. I am not afraid of admitting to a mistake and rectifying it.

Then again...I fear that this flip-flopping can sometimes drive the munchkins batty. For a week I introduced time-out and dropped "spanking." Then it was back to pops on the hand for bad behavior when time-outs proved fruitless. Foolish consistency might be the hobgoblin of little minds but some consistency is supposed to be good for young minds, no? And yet it can feel to me like the only thing I am consistent at is changing up the rules. There must be some silver lining in this, something I can hang my mommy-sanity on until I get myself a bit more together on the do's and don'ts, the wills and wonts. I bet it makes my kids more flexible, less resistant to change and those certainly are good things to instill in them, right?

Then again....

3 comments:

  1. Ah well said. If they were all the exact same personality, size and tantrum throwers we could be consistent. I think the trouble is nothing works for all three. So, I get accused of favoring J because I can tell he is the most emotionally sensitive and insist he is given 5 minute warnings before changes of scenery and diapers while A and I have a test of wills because she's always responsible but will throw a fit to beat the band over nothing and my temper just matches hers a little too well. You know?

    As for the bed sippy cup thing. It doesn't have to be cold turkey. You'll get it out of there. Some compassion is warranted, these kids have had a lot of changes in life. Table manners? I read that the reason most toddlers are picky eaters is because we start insisting they eat 'properly' and take all the touching and squishing and experimenting out of the equation. So, I still scold for throwing food and cups on the floor but you wanna eat with your hands instead of the spoon? You're eating. That's great. Hard for proper clean MIL to handle, but my kids aren't that picky yet. I give myself credit for that one.

    So, forgive the waffling. Tailor your responses to the kids and the happenings in their lives and you are being a great mom. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This reads like a transcript of my mind when it battles with guilt. That is, if my mind were organized and honest and elegantly written. However, due to the heavy chocolate intake that usually proceeds one of these mental arguments my sentences wind up choppy and with a lot of exclamation points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me at single mom of triplets and novelist.

    we have trips, and for what it's worth, ours were born small, too (4lbs 9oz, 4lbs 9oz, and 3lbs 5oz--36 weeks and 1 day). my wife would qualify as a stickler...pretty strict on rules, and we've sent them to bed hungry before.

    it's a tough balance and we can't claim to have going on what you have going on--the move, etc...

    i'll be back to read more soon, but i just wanted to let you know that my wife and i think you rock! keep up the good work. my insticts tell me that you should listen to yours!

    ReplyDelete