Mark Twain Quote

"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879

January 15, 2010

The Little Yellow SchoolBus

Here in Georgia, Babies Can't Wait is a public service that will come to your home and evaluate your toddler for physical and developmental delays. I contacted them because some other moms of toddler triplets had seen progress in their kids after some speech and physical therapy and I wanted to at least get a professional opinion on how my three stacked up compared to others their age. If they have any delays I want them found and worked on as soon as possible, of course.

Here is what I expected would happen: The evaluator would show up and oooh and aaah over the amazing cuteness and precociousness of my triplets. They would make conversation (or what passes for conversation with 22 month-olds), ask me a few questions, and then announce that my trio were in fact quite advanced in speech and physical development and if toddlers could be tested for I.Q. she'd hazard a guess that they would test in the genius range. I would then act surprised and humbled and say, "I just wasn't sure since these are my only kids and of course I wanted to make sure they got whatever help they might need." Then the triplets would bid her farewell in sign language, French, Creole, and English. I would do a happy dance as soon as her car pulled out of the driveway, flop onto the couch and pull up Mommy's all time favorite daydream.

It's the one that starts with the triplets on the Today Show being interviewed by Matt Lauer as the "smartest toddlers in the world." They'd amaze the studio audience with their reading ability, recite the names and dates in office for all the U.S. Presidents and then BLUE would pull out a tiny violin and play a wicked rendition of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Matt would say, "All this and they aren't even potty trained yet!" My daydream ends 15 years later with me making the rounds of Princeton, Yale, and Harvard during Parents' Weekends.

Here is what actually happened: The evaluator was named Maria. I greeted her at the door and said, "Before we start I'd like to apologize for the smell. One of the triplets has, uh, an issue and well, when he lets loose its like a Superfund site up in here." She said it was okay and giggled politely but I could see her nose twitch and I think her eyes started to tear up. The triplets left their PB&J lunches on the table to form a semi-circle around Maria and point and stare menacingly. She acted like it didn't creep her out at all. After telling the triplets several times that this was not "Tatie," they decided to call her "Ya."

Maria asked me a bunch of questions about the triplets' habits and abilities, all the while keeping an eye on them as they ate and played. Once in a while a toddler would wander over to Maria and she would ask "What's your name?" or pull out a book and ask them to name certain objects. After an hour and a half, Maria announced that my triplets showed great physical development but she was recommending the full scale speech evaluation for all three because the average toddler their age is saying four times as many words plus several two and three word phrases. I felt deflated. Four times as many words? Who are these genius chatty kathy toddlers, I wondered out loud. The triplets gathered at the gate and stared some more as Maria put on her coat. "Ca-ca Ya," SWOOSH said. "That's bye-bye, Maria," I translated.

Mommy's favorite daydream disappeared and was replaced by visions of bumper stickers on my van proclaiming "My Kid Can Beat Up Your Honor Student."

Thank goodness for athletic scholarships to college.

5 comments:

  1. Aw hell, does she know what she's talking about? My kids are the same, it's a triplet thing. Did she really take into account the triplet thing? I don't have any 2 word combinations other than the song 'clean up' that A sings regularly. My dr says we're fine. Or did at 18 months. I suppose the 2 year visit might be different...ah crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are the same too. They said mine are very far behind in Speech. We have speech therapy once a week and it is a load of crap. She does not do anything different than I do with them and just kind of sits there. Our Pedi recommended they go to private speech 3x a week each, but we can't afford that. So, we continue with the BCW Speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like she did not take into account the triplet thing. Triplets (well multiples)develop thier own language. Mine are younger but we have not had 2 word sentences and not a ton of one words, yet. (Mine are only 13.5 months adjusted age since they were born 3 months early)

    Didn't she ooo and awe over thier cuteness???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my mom didn't have triplets, but she TOTALLY had that bumper sticker!

    I don't have multiples but certainly I've heard that they are so innately in tune to each other that they don't need or desire the language skills that other kids do. I wouldn't really worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. our trips are almost four months past their second bday, and they're pretty much completely potty trained. not quite sure how their vocal compares to that of other toddlers their age, but i have a feeling they're a little behind.

    so my b sticker must read "at least they shit in the can, bitches."

    ReplyDelete