Mark Twain Quote

"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879

September 8, 2009

Don't Worry, Be Happy

So, I am getting ready to go home and see the munchkins...in four days. Grandma says I won't believe how much they have grown. Grandpa says they are the happiest he has ever witnessed any children. This is because Grandma and Grandpa are trying to be helpful but obviously don't have a damn clue what NOT to say to a Mommy who was reluctant being so far away for so long.

Anyway, I'm happy to say I've gotten a bunch of writing on a bunch of projects done. ('Done' as in I got writing accomplished not 'done' as in anything is finished. As if.) I am also happy to say that I have made a decision regarding being a long-distance mommy for the sake of an income. I have nixed the idea. Yay! Now, considering I will be going back to scrounging for diaper money, you may wonder why I am so happy. It's because during my self-imposed exile, I have had time to do a lot of self-therapy. And I have made a potentially monumentally life-altering decision (drum roll please): I am going to wake up every day and (1) not worry about money and (2) be happy. WHOA!!!

I know what those of you who know me personally are thinking: Yeah, right, how long will that last? Well, I don't know how long it will last but I sure am going to give it a go and here is why: In the past nineteen months of my babies' lives none of the things that I have worried the most about have come to pass. My babies have never missed a meal. My babies have never wanted for medical care. My babies have never gone naked (well, not for lack of clothing - only for the apparent desire to start a nudist colony in grandma's guest room). I have never had to march them out to the far reaches of the backyard for their daily crap to save on diapers (okay, just once...as an experiment - one gone horribly awry I might add...)

But this is what I have experienced in the past nineteen months: more doubled-over, can't catch my breath, almost peed myself laughter than in the first thirty-six years of living. More smiling-so-much-my-face-hurts and feeling-like-my-heart-will-swell-til-it-bursts moments than I thought were possible in one life. And what have I sacrificed? My waist-line (boo friggin' hoo, black girls look good fat anyway, dontcha know?) My obsession with moi (no so much sacrificed as pushed ever so slightly left of center). Sleep...okay there is no silver lining there, it just sucks. But still my point is good: I am an abundantly blessed woman.

And because this abundantly blessed woman is also a selfish beeyotch, she'd like more of these happy moments, not less. So, I am giving up worrying and depression to make room for more laughter and play. After all, although my triplets might not remember this time in their lives, I will. I would rather not look back and see long stretches of misery and hand-wringing that I brought upon myself. (I suppose when it comes to misery and hand-wringing brought on by others I'll just have to deal.) I would rather not look back and see long periods of separation from my children. I'd rather look back and see things like this:



Oh, did you say DON'T climb into the dishwasher and lick knives?

As soon as you walk away with that camera I'm gonna do something I shouldn't - like climb into the dishwasher and lick knives. HeeHeeHee.

No, really, it tastes better this way!


2 comments:

  1. yay you! Go for it! I hope it works. worrying sucks and there is so much mama guilt to go around that I'm sure you'll find something to feel bad about so enjoy the happy go lucky for the few moments you can. And aren't they fun? I hope it works out in FL. I'm sending positive energy your way to help you find income and success! Now to go scrounge up some food for my kids since i'm too lazy to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I'm glad you're deciding to let go and be happy with what you have because in truth, you're rich! Three beautiful kids that bring laughter every day, there is nothing more a person can ask for! I can only say so because I have a little boy who brings joy and laughter to my daily life. I too decided a few weeks ago that I would let go and just be happy with what I have. I struggle to buy diapers and wipes for my son. I am divorced (deadbeat babies daddy), unemployed and broke but I am absolutely happy.

    I have a hard time leaving him and I too have thought about sending him away to grandma while I get myself settled. It's hard to let go and I have so much fun with him on a daily basis. My mom, who is visiting from Florida and wants to take him for a month, made that observation today. She said "it's no wonder you don't want me to take him, you have too much fun with him". It's true! He is a star, my mini Dave Chappelle and that's all that matters for now.

    Like your friend, I wish you well and send only positive energy your way. Remember, smiling goes a long way. ;-)

    Cheers!
    P

    ReplyDelete