Mark Twain Quote

"Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and an insurrection." Mark Twain, 1879

January 21, 2010

The Poppy Wars: Triplets - 1, Mommy - 0

We've been talking a lot about the poppy in our house. (That's "potty" to everyone who isn't one of my kids.) We talk about how we should make peepee and poopee in the potty and not in our diapers. We take field trips to the bathroom to sit on the potty where the boys put nothing in the potty except balled up toilet paper and occasionally their hands. Still, it's a start in what I am told can be a long, messy journey to diaper freedom.

So, I was actually quite happy one day while feeding them when SWOOSH started waggling his finger at his tah's behind saying "No, no peepee. No, no." (A tah is a stuffed animal which of course you know from having read every word on this blog, right?) It gave me a great idea. I took his teddy bear from him and placed it on the table and said, "Tah is making peepee on the potty." I added some sound effects and got some chuckles from the triplets. Then I lifted tah, pointed to some random stains (never lacking for stains or crumbs or mystery specks on that dang table), and proclaimed "Yay! Tah made poopee on the potty! Good job tah!" Then I clapped like an idiot and gave the funny smelling bear a great big hug.

For days, each kid would spend mealtimes taking turns handing me their stuffed animals and saying "Tah poppy! Tah poppy!" And I'd repeat the potty lesson. I thought to myself, "Good job, Mommy! Not only am I distracting them enough to get way more food into them than usual, but I'm doing covert potty training at the same time! I am one rockin' multi-taskin' Mom!"

Ahhhh, would that it were so.

A few mornings ago as I stood at the stove trying to hide a ridiculous amount of spinach in their scrambled eggs and cheese, I heard my cousin shout out from the vicinity of the playroom, "WHAT are you DOING?"

First, I saw a discarded diaper in the middle of the playroom.

Then I spotted SWOOSH on top of the table...

squatting...

butt naked...

poppying all over the tabletop.

I wanted to scream "That's NOT what I MEANT!!!" but the poor boy was smiling at me looking for all the world like he just knew Mommy would scoop him up in her arms and give him a great big hug and that exaggerated applause that tah always got for doing the same thing.

Our mealtime/potty training sessions are over.

The Poppy Wars: Triplets - 1, Mommy - 0

4 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS!!!! Mine aren't there yet but I can only imagine the frustration! One day you will look back and hopefully laugh as loud as I just did :) And I seriously needed a chuckle/smile this morning :) thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are yours really acting ready? I have two that announce their poops and a different pairing who have peed in the potty after bath (we started that because of their propensity to pee on the way from bath to changing table) but other than that, no clear signs they're ready. I've heard if you wait until they're really ready it's like a 2 week process, otherwise it's months. So I'm waiting girl. I also have a plan to do one at a time. Starting with the girl most likely. I am not interested in potty training 3 kids at once. Although the fewer diapers the better after the infant but I know my hormones don't leave me enough patience to potty train in my last month of pregnancy. That's clear.

    best of luck, I actually did order some potty books just to start things off and we do the after bath potty sit but that's it over here. You're moving way faster than we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was HYSTERICAL!!! Had me chuckling over here. But I'm with Mira--wait til they're really showing signs (like having dry diapers, or going in the same "private" spot to poop--hopefully not your table). Otherwise it can be long, drawn out, and frustrating. We lucked out with ODD, waited til she was doing the above types of behavior, and it took *maybe* three days to daytime PT (she was 2 and 8 months). NIghttime was a different story :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Maybe set Tah on the actual potty or a potty chair? Alex is training himself and has been out of diapers all week. I have NO idea how this happened, but I am hoping he can potty train the other 2! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete